1. Oxygenic photosynthesis occurs in
2. Which one is the wrong pairing for the disease and its causal organism?
(1) late blight of potato-Alternaria solani
(2) Black rust of wheat-Puccinia graminis
(3) Loose smut of wheat-Ustilago nuda
(4) Root-knot of vegetables-Meloidogyne sp.
3. T. O. Diener discovered a
(1) free infectious RNA
(2) free infectious DNA
(3) infectious protein
4. Which of the following are found in extreme saline conditions?
5. Viroids differ from viruses in having
(1) DNA molecules with protein coat
(2) DNA molecules without protein coat
(3) RNA molecules with protein coat
(4) RNA molecules without protein coat
6. Which one of the following is wrong for fungi?
(1) They are eukaryotic
(2) All fungi possess a purely cellulosic cell wall
(3) They are heterotrophic
(4) They are both unicellular and multicellular
7. Methanogens belong to
(4) slime moulds
8. A genetically engineered micro-organism used successfully in bioremediation of oil spills is a species of:
9. Two plants can be conclusively said to belong to the same species if they:
(1) can reproduce freely with each other and form viable seeds
(2) have more than 90 percent similar genes
(3) look similar and possess identical secondary metabolites
(4) have same number of chromosomes
10. Select the wrong statement.
(a) The walls of diatoms are easily destructible
(b) ‘Diatomaceous earth’ is formed by the cell walls of diatoms
(c) Diatoms are chief producers in the oceans
(d) Diatoms are microscopic and float passiveley in water
11. Chrysophytes, euglenoids, dinoflagellates and slime moulds are included in the kingdom
12. The primitive prokaryotes responsible for the production of biogas from the dung of ruminant animals, include the
13. Which one of the following statements is wrong?
(1) Golden algae are also called desmids
(2) Eubacteria are also called false bacteria
(3) Phycomycetes are also called algal fungi
(4) Cyanobacteria are also called blue-green algae
14. One of the major components of cell wall of most fungi is
15. Which of the following statements is wrong for viroids?
(1) They are smaller than viruses
(2) They cause infections
(3) Their RNA is of high molecular weight
(4) They lack a protein coat