These molecular basis of inheritance neet question are composed by special livemcqs team from various Medical entrance exams question papers including NEET, AIIMS, JIPMER and NCERT Book. I hope these NEET Question on Molecular Basis of Inheritance are helpful to you to your upcoming NEET exam.
NEET Question on Molecular Basis of Inheritance PDF Download
1. Which of the following is not a character of A DNA?
(A) Short and broad
(B) Left-handed helix
(C) Narrow minor groove
(D) Broad and shallow major groove
Answer: Left-handed helix
2. Electrophoresis cannot be used to separate _______________
(C) Amino acid
Answer: Amino acid
3. Association of primase with DNA template is brought about by the interaction of primase with _________________
(A) DNA polymerase III
(B) Clamp-loader complex
(C) Helicase and SSB protein
(D) Ï„ protein
Answer: Helicase and SSB protein
4. Who experimentally proved that DNA is the genetic material?
(A) Meselson& Chase
(B) Hershey & Chase
(C) Hershey & Meselson
(D) Watson & Chase
Answer: Hershey & Chase
5. Which molecule acts as an adaptor during translation?
6. In lac-operon, which protein is not regulated by the repressor?
(B) Lactose Permease
7. Spliceosomes are absent in the cells of
(D) None of the above
8. Palindromic sequences play a very important role in gene manipulation.
9. The gene sequence that codes for proteins are
(C) Intervening sequences
(D) Control regions
10. Which of the following is not a character of unique Intergenic DNA?
(A) Mutant genes
(D) Nonfunctional gene fragments
11. Which of the following does not take part in gene expression?
(C) RNA processing
12. The four nitrogen base sequence which forms the code words for DNA Language is
13. Who experimentally proved semiconservative model of DNA replication
(A) Meselson & Stahl
(B) Frederic Griffith
(C) Watson & Crick
Answer: Meselson & Stahl
14. Which of the following does not occur during cell division in prokaryotes?
(A) Multiple decatenation
(B) DNA cleavage
(C) DNA rejoining
(D) Strand passage
Answer: Multiple decatenation
15. Strand separation for DNA sequencing is done to ____________
(A) sort the fragments according to their size
(B) sort the fragments according to their molecular weight
(C) obtain consecutive sequence as per termination
(D) obtain specific lanes of sequencing
Answer: obtain consecutive sequence as per termination
16. Which of the following is wrongly paired?
(A) Proteins – peptide bond
(B) Nucleic acid – hydrogen bond
(C) Polysaccharide – glycosidic bond
(D) Phospholipids –phosphate linkage
Answer: Nucleic acid – hydrogen bond
17. The anticodon of initiation codon for protein synthesis is
18. What is the minimum number of bases required for loop stability?
19. Which of the following enzyme is not required for the synthesis of the lagging strands?
20. What is the name of a segment of DNA capable of producing a polypeptide chain
(D) None of these
21. Which of the following is not a nucleotide?
22. What is the correct order for increasing gene density?
(A) Bacteria, Virus, Fruit fly, Human
(B) Fruit fly, Bacteria, Virus, Human
(C) Human, Fruit fly, Bacteria, Virus
(D) Virus, Bacteria, Fruit fly, Human
Answer: Human, Fruit fly, Bacteria, Virus
23. With respect to the “tails” of the histone molecules which of the following is not true?
(A) N – terminal extension
(B) Lacks defined structure
(C) Required for the association of nucleosome
(D) Sites for extensive modifications
Answer: Required for the association of nucleosome
24. What is the factor responsible for the left-handed helical conformation in Z form of DNA?
(A) Syn conformation at pyrimidine
(B) Anti conformation at pyrimidine
(C) Syn conformation at purine
(D) Anti conformation at purine
Answer: Anti conformation at purine
25. With respect to the mRNA – ribosome complex for translation mechanism which of the following pair is wrong?
(A) Small subunit – decoding center
(B) A site – aminoacylated tRNA binding site
(C) P site – peptidyl tRNA binding site
(D) E site – polypeptide exit site
Answer: E site – polypeptide exit site
26. Centromeric DNA was initially defined in ___________
27. Double-stranded structure of nucleic acid is the basic requirement for palindromic sequences.
28. The extent of chromosome coiling in non – dividing cells is _________
29. The promotion of DNA breaking and rejoining by topoisomerase requires______________
(A) High–energy cofactor
(C) DNase I
(D) No external enzyme required
Answer: No external enzyme required
30. According to Chargaff’s rule the two strands of DNA has ___________
(A) Same molecular weight
(B) Same amount of A and G
(C) Different amount of A and G
(D) Different molecular weight
Answer: Different molecular weight
31. The nitrogenous base is covalently linked to the _________ carbon of the pentose sugar.
32. Which of the following is not a part of a gene?
33. The process by which a probe is used to screen a library is known as ___________
(B) Southern blotting
(C) Colony hybridization
(D) Western blotting
Answer: Colony hybridization
34. A sample of DNA contains 20% of adenine. What is the quantity of guanine present?
35. Which amino acids are present mostly in histone?
(A) Arginine & Glycine
(B) Glycine & Lysine
(C) Arginine & Lysine
(D) Arginine & Valine
Answer: Arginine & Lysine
36. With respect to Histone H1 DNA packaging which of the following is false?
(A) H1 induce 10 nm fiber formation
(B) H1 binding gives the nucleosome a defined angle
(C) H1 stabilizes higher-order chromatin structures
(D) H1 binds to two DNA helices at once
Answer: H1 induce 10 nm fiber formation
37. Which of the following nucleotides is rich I telomere of an organism?
(A) A, T
(B) T, G
(C) G, C
(D) C, A
Answer: G, C
38. Transformation experiments using pneumococcus bacteria led to the hypothesis that
(A) RNA is the transfer link between DNA and protein synthesis
(B) Chromosomes are made up of DNA
(C) DNA is a genetic substance
(D) Bacteria has sexual reproduction
Answer: Chromosomes are made up of DNA
39. Where is the location of the promoter in the transcription unit?
(A) Towards 5â€™ end of the template strand
(B) Towards 3â€™ end of the template strand
(C) Towards 5â€™ end of the coding strand
(D) Towards 3â€™ end of the coding strand
Answer: Towards 5â€™ end of the template strand
40. Who named the term nucleic acid to the content of chromatin?
(A) Frederic Altmann
(B) Oswald Awery
(C) Gregor Mendel
(D) None of these
Answer: None of these
41. Which enzymes prevent the binding of unwound DNA strands
(A) DNA ligase
(B) DNA polymerase
(C) SSB protein
Answer: SSB protein
42. Which one of the following is not a function of a nucleotide?
(A) Nucleic acid monomer
(C) Energy carrier molecules
43. Semi conservative nature of replication of eukaryotic chromosome was first demonstrated by _______
(A) Walter Flemming on root tip cells of Vicia faba
(B) J. Herbert Taylor, Philip Wood and Walter Hughes on root tip cells of Vicia faba
(C) Walter Flemming on root tip cells of Phaseolus vulgaris
(D) J. Herbert Taylor, Philip Wood and Walter Hughes on root tip cells of Phaseolus vulgaris
Answer: J. Herbert Taylor, Philip Wood and Walter Hughes on root tip cells of Vicia faba
44. Which of the following will migrate faster? The condition is the molecular weight of the following is equal.
(A) Supercoiled circular DNA
(B) Nicked circular DNA
(C) Single-stranded DNA
(D) Double-stranded DNA
Answer: Supercoiled circular DNA
45. DNA always carries the genetic information for all organisms.
46. DNA polymerase can distinguish between dNTPs and rNTPS due to ___________
(A) Structural differentiation
(B) Steric exclusion
(C) Steric hindrance
(D) Enzyme substrate mismatch
Answer: Steric exclusion
47. If DNA is digested by endonucleases in four sites giving rise to fragments of which two are equal in length how many bands would be seen after electrophoresis?
48. What do you think is the requirement of Intergenic DNA in higher organisms?
(A) Just genetic load
(B) To avoid viable mutations
(C) Helps in regulation of transcription
(D) Helps in genome organization
Answer: To avoid viable mutations
49. With respect to the assembly of every core histone which of the following is wrong?
(A) A conserved region
(B) Histone fold domain
(C) Disc-shaped structure
(D) 2 ? helices and an unstructured loop
Answer: 2 ? helices and an unstructured loop
50. Which of the following is correctly match with its subsequent role?
(A) Topoisomerase II- can remove both positive and negative supercoil in the DNA duplex
(B) Polymerase I- larger fragment responsible for exonuclease activity
(C) DnaA protein- responsible for “melting” of the DNA double helix during replication
(D) DnaB protein- attaches to the newly unwounded single strand of DNA to prevent folding of the strand
Answer: DnaA protein- responsible for “melting” of the DNA double helix during replication
51. Histone H1 binds two DNA helices.
52. The amino acid coded by 3 codons is
53. The special unwinding enzyme that helps in breaking the weak hydrogen bond which hold the two strands of DNA is
(B) DNA ligase
(C) DNA polymerase
54. Automated sequencing is defined as _________
(A) Chain termination sequencing
(B) Radiolabeled sequencing
(C) Real-time fluorescence sequencing
Answer: Real-time fluorescence sequencing
55. Which of the following function of DNA is necessary for the purpose of evolution?
56. The position of the band during electrophoresis indicates the dNTP used as a chain terminator in that mixture.
57. Only a single stranded RNA can pass through the ribosome for decoding.
58. Which of the following statements is true with respect to the DNA double helix?
(A) Composed of two or more polynucleotide chains
(B) The base pairs have opposite polarity
(C) Covalent bond exists in base pairing
(D) T is transcribed as U
Answer: The base pairs have opposite polarity
59. Check which one of the following mechanisms is wrongly paired with its location of occurrence?
(A) Transcription – nucleus
(B) Post-transcriptional mechanism – ER
(C) Translation – cytoplasm
(D) Post-translational mechanism – ER
Answer: Post-transcriptional mechanism – ER
60. Histones have a high content of negatively charged amino acids.
61. Which of the following statement is false about DNA?
(A) Located in chromosomes
(B) Carries genetic information from parent to offspring
(C) Abundantly found in the cytoplasm
(D) There is a precise correlation between the amount of DNA and the number of sets of chromosome per cell
Answer: Abundantly found in the cytoplasm
62. Which of the following is not a part of a nucleoside?
(A) Deoxyribose sugar
(B) Glycosidic linkage
63. The proteins that bind to the spindle fibers are known as centromeric proteins.
64. When we compare the structure of DNA polymerase to the structure of a body part, it resembles to _________________
(A) Right hand
(B) Left hand
(C) Right foot
(D) Left foot
Answer: Right hand
65. The energy source for the elongation process is
(D) All of the above
66. How many origin of replication are present in the E. coli genome ___________
67. Eukaryotic mRNA is read in the 3’ to 5’ direction.
68. Who was the first to suggest that one strand of DNA might act as a template for the synthesis of its complementary strand?
(A) Meselson and Stahl
(B) Watson and crick
(C) Walter Flemming
(D) Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins
Answer: Watson and crick
69. The active site of the topoisomerase contains a tyrosine residue.
70. Transfer of DNA from one bacteria to another through the cell to cell contact is known as
The molecular basis of inheritance neet question and answer plays an important role in medical entrance exams like NEET, AIIMS, JIPMER, and various other board exams. These questions and answers are helpful to the NEET aspirants. These MCQs cover the solution of all previous years’ question papers of this chapter of Biology.