We have the best collection of Molecular Orbital Theory MCQs. These Molecular Orbital Theory MCQs will help you to prepare for any competitive exams like: NEET, AIIMS, JEE Mains, JEE Advance, IIT JEE, JIPMER and other Exams at all levels – you just have to practice regularly.
Molecular Orbital Theory MCQs
1. Which of the following is a condition for the combination of atomic orbitals?
a) Combining atomic orbitals need not have equal energy
b) Combining atomic orbitals must have symmetry as per molecular axis
c) Combining atomic orbitals must overlap to a minimum extent
d) For combining atomic orbitals, X-axis should be taken as a molecular axis
Answer: Combining atomic orbitals must have symmetry as per molecular axis
2. Sigma molecular orbitals are not symmetrical around the bonding axis.
3. Which of the bonding orbital has greater energy comparatively?
a) Both Bonding molecular orbital and Anti-bonding molecular orbital have the same energy
b) The energy of Bonding molecular orbital and Anti-bonding molecular orbital depends on the situation
c) Bonding molecular orbital
d) Anti-bonding molecular orbital
Answer: Anti-bonding molecular orbital
4. Take NA as the number of Anti-bonding molecular orbitals and NB as the number of Bonding molecular orbitals. The molecule is stable when NA ____________ NB.
a) is greater than
b) is equal to
c) is less than
d) is greater than or equal to
Answer: is less than
5. What’s the bond order of Oxygen?
6. What do you think is the relationship between bond order and bond length?
a) Directly proportional
b) Indirectly proportional
c) No relation
d) Cannot predict
Answer: Indirectly proportional
7. Which of the following molecule is not true about paramagnetic molecules?
a) Attracted by the magnetic field
b) A molecular orbital is singly occupied
c) An example is oxygen molecule
d) Repelled by the magnetic field
Answer: Repelled by the magnetic field
8. Combination of two atomic orbitals results in the formation of two molecular orbitals namely
a) one bonding and one non-bonding orbital
b) two bonding orbitals
c) two non-bonding orbitals
d) two bonding and non-bonding orbitals
Answer: one bonding and one non-bonding orbital
9. Stability increases, as the energy ___________
b) doesn’t change
d) increases and then decreases
10. ψMO = ψA + ψB.