We have the best collection of Spontaneity MCQs and answer with FREE PDF. These Spontaneity MCQs will help you to prepare for any competitive exams like: NEET, AIIMS, JEE Mains, JEE Advance, IIT JEE, JIPMER and other Exams at all levels – you just have to practice regularly.
1. Entropy is an ___________ property.
c) neither intensive or extensive
d) both intensive and extensive
2. Which of the following relation is true between Gibbs energy, enthalpy, temperature, and entropy?
a) G = H -TS
b) G = H -T
c) G = H -S
d) G = -TS
Answer: G = H -TS
3. Reaction is spontaneous if Gibbs free energy is __________
a) greater than zero
b) equal to zero
c) less than zero
Answer: less than zero
4. If the enthalpy is positive and entropy is negative, what do you understand about Gibbs free energy?
a) it is positive
c) may be negative
d) may be positive
Answer: it is positive
5. The entropy of the universe is always increasing is ____________
a) zeroth law of thermodynamics
b) first law of thermodynamics
c) second law of thermodynamics
d) third law of thermodynamics
Answer: first law of thermodynamics
6. Third law of thermodynamics is only applicable for perfectly crystalline substances.
7. ?S(universe) > 0 can also be written as _________
a) ?S(system) + ?S(surroundings) > 0
b) ?S(surroundings) > 0
d) ?S(system) – ?S(surroundings) > 0
Answer: ?S(system) + ?S(surroundings) > 0
8. Which of the following is not a spontaneous process?
a) sugar dissolves in water
b) melting of iron
c) rusting of iron
d) evaporation of water
Answer: melting of iron
9. Spontaneous reactions that occur or mostly ________in nature.
c) both endothermic and exothermic
d) neither exothermic nor endothermic
10. Entropy increases for a spontaneous reaction.