General Principles And Processes Of Isolation Of Elements Intext Questions are very important for NEET, JEE as well as AIIMS exam. This is because it has many questions based on isolation of elements like hydrogen, chlorine, bromine and iodine from their respective mixtures. It tests your ability to isolate these elements through tests like vaporization, electrolysis and bulb method.
General Principles And Processes Of Isolation Of Elements Intext Questions (Extraction of Crude Metal from Concentrated Ore)
1. Which of the following statements is wrong?
a) During smelting, flux is used to remove gangue as slag
b) The slag formed during smelting has low melting point and is heavier than metal
c) Calcination of ore is carried out without the presence the oxygen
d) Roasting is carried out in the presence of oxygen
Answer: The slag formed during smelting has low melting point and is heavier than metal
2. Roasting results in the formation of oxides. But why are oxide ores are subjected to roasting?
a) To avoid gangue particles
b) To get crude metal with using oxidizing agent
c) To remove volatile impurities in the form of their oxides
d) To make the ore porous
Answer: To remove volatile impurities in the form of their oxides
3. Which of the following ores are concentrated by froth flotation?
c) Copper pyrites
Answer: Copper pyrites
4. Copper is extracted from low grade copper ores.
5. What is the main reaction occurring in the blast furnace during extraction of iron from haematite?
a) Fe2O3 + 3CO ? 2Fe + 3CO2
b) FeO + SiO2 ? FeSiO2
c) Fe2O3 + 3C ? 2Fe + 3CO
d) Fe2O3 + CO2 ? FeCO3 + O2
Answer: Fe2O3 + 3CO ? 2Fe + 3CO2
6. How is ore-dressing of iron done?
a) Froth Flotation
b) Magnetic separation
c) Hand picking
d) By wetting
Answer: Magnetic separation
7. Which of the following metals is not extracted by electrolysis?
8. What is the type of metallurgy in which the ore is leached and the metal is collected by using electrolysis?
a) Zone refining
d) Thermite process
9. A metal found in a free state is called nugget.
10. When is the ore subjected to leach?
a) When the ore is in immiscible liquid
b) When the impurity is in immiscible liquid
c) When both ore and impurity are insoluble in water
d) When only impurity is soluble in water
Answer: When both ore and impurity are insoluble in water