Coordination Compounds are most important to understand for various competitive exams. These MCQ On Coordination Compounds are most asked in the most competitive exams i.e., IIT, JEE, NEET, AIIMS etc. Basically they are most important for all the pre-medical exams so it is most important to learn the MCQ on coordination compounds.
MCQ On Coordination Compounds with FREE PDF (Bonding)
1. A complex having _________ geometry can have more than one type of hybridisation.
b) square planar
c) trigonal bipyramidal
2. Which statement regarding [Cr(NH3)6]3+ is incorrect?
a) It has octahedral geometry
b) It has d2sp3 hybridisation
c) It is diamagnetic
d) It is a low spin complex
Answer: It is diamagnetic
3. The ferricyanide complex ion is _________
b) outer orbital
c) spin free
4. What is the number of unpaired electrons in [Fe(H2O)6]2+ if it is known to be a high spin complex?
5. [Co(en)2(NH3)Cl]2+ is known to be a diamagnetic complex. What is the type of hybridisation it shows?
6. Which of the following does not explain the nature of bonding in coordination compounds?
a) Crystal Field Theory
b) Molecular Orbital Theory
c) Valence Bond Theory
d) VSEPR Theory
Answer: VSEPR Theory
7. How many types of hybridisation are possible for complexes with a coordination number of 4?
8. How many empty orbitals are available in the central metal ion of a complex that has a trigonal bipyramidal geometry?
9. The crystal field theory considers the metal-ligand bond to be a _______ bond.
10. In CFT, which of the following ligands will be treated as point dipoles?
11. Which of the following orbitals does not belong to t2g orbitals?
12. Identify the correct order of increasing field strength of the ligands.
a) SCN–, NH3, NCS–, CN–
b) NCS–, SCN–, NH3, CN–
c) SCN–, NCS–, NH3, CN–
d) NCS–, NH3, SCN–, CN–
Answer: SCN–, NCS–, NH3, CN–
13. By how much percentage does the energy of eg orbitals increase by from the average field splitting energy in octahedral complexes?
14. Identify the correct order of decreasing field strength of the neutral ligands.
a) CO, en, NH3, H2O
b) CO, en, H2O, NH3
c) en, CO, NH3, H2O
d) en, CO, H2O, NH3
Answer: CO, en, NH3, H2O
15. Identify the correct relation between ?o and ?t, where ?o denotes crystal field splitting in octahedral complexes and ?t denotes crystal field splitting in tetrahedral complexes.
a) ?o < ?t
b) ?o > ?t
c) ?o = ?t
d) ?o ? ?t
Answer: ?o > ?t
16. Which of the following ligands is most likely to form high spin complexes in octahedral fields?
17. What will be the electronic configuration of d5 in terms of t2g and eg in an octahedral field when ?o<P, where P is the energy required for pairing of electrons in a single orbital?
a) t2g5 eg0
b) t2g2 eg3
c) t2g3 eg2
d) t2g0 eg5
Answer: t2g3 eg2
18. As the crystal field splitting energy in octahedral field increases, the wavelength of light absorbed
c) Remains the same
d) May increase or decrease
19. The complex [Co(H2O)6]3+ absorbs the wavelength of light corresponding to orange colour. Predict the colour of the coordination compound based on this information.
20. Identify the incorrect statement regarding VBT.
a) It does not explain the colour of coordination compounds
b) It is unreliable in the prediction of geometries of 4-coordinate complexes
c) It does not explain the kinetic stabilities of coordination compounds
d) It can distinguish between strong and weak ligands
Answer: It can distinguish between strong and weak ligands