These MCQ on Amino Acid Metabolism with Answers are designed to prepare students for Medical Entrance Examinations like NEET, AIIMS, JIPMER etc. These MCQ on Amino Acid Metabolism with Answers are not only directly taken from different previous years’ question papers but they are also selected keeping in mind the future pattern of the exam.
MCQ on Amino Acid Metabolism
1. Which out of the following amino acids is not converted to Succinyl co A?
2. Which of the following is non-essential amino acid?
3. Which of these amino acids are essential for infants?
b) Arginine and Histidine
d) Lysine and Leucine
4. All of the following compounds are synthesized by transmethylation reactions, except-
5. Histamine, a chemical mediator of allergies and anaphylaxis, is synthesized from amino acid Histidine by which of the following processes?
6. The synthesis of all of the following compounds except one is deficient in a patient suffering from Phenylketonuria-
d) Thyroid hormone
7. The diet of a child suffering from Maple syrup urine disease (an amino acid disorder), should be low, in which out of the following amino acids content?
a) Branched chain amino acids
b) Phenylalanine Alanine
8. Which out of the following amino acids in not required for creatine synthesis?
9. All of the following substances are synthesized from Cysteine, except-
10. Urea is synthesized in –
c) Both cytoplasm and mitochondria
d) In lysosomes
11. Blood urea decreases in all of the following conditions, except-
a) Liver cirrhosis
c) Renal failure
d) Urea cycle disorders
12. All of the following amino acids are donors of one carbon compounds except-
13. The two nitrogen of urea are derived from-
a) Aspartate and Ammonia
b) Glutamate and ammonia
c) Argino succinate and ammonia
d) Alanine and ammonia
14. Which out of the following amino acids is not required for the synthesis of Glutathione?
c) Glutamic acid
15. The first line of defense in brain in conditions of hyperammonemia is-
a) Urea formation
b) Glutamine synthesis
c) Glutamate synthesis
d) Asparagine formation
16. Which coenzyme out of the followings is required for the oxidative deamination of most of amino acids?
a) Folic acid
b) Pyridoxal- P
17. Chose the incorrect statement about amino acid Glycine-
a) One carbon donor
b) Required for the synthesis of haem
c) Forms oxalates upon catabolism
d) Both glucogenic as well as ketogenic
18. Which out of the followings is required as a coenzyme for the transamination reactions?
a) Coenzyme A
c) Folic acid
19. A patient diagnosed with Homocystinuria should be supplemented with all of the following vitamins except-
a) Vitamin C
b) Folic acid
c) Vitamin B12
d) Pyridoxal- P
20. In a patient suffering from Cystinuria, which out of the following amino acids is not seen in urine of affected patients?
21. Positive nitrogen balance is seen in all of the following conditions except-
22. The L-amino acids are absorbed from intestine by-
a) Active transport
b) Passive diffusion
d) Facilitated diffusion
23. A child presented with increased frequency of urination, photophobia and impairment of vision. Which out of the following defects could be responsible for the said symptoms?
24. Which out of the following statements about Glutamate dehydrogenase is correct?
a) Required for transamination reactions
b) Universally present in all the cells of the body
c) Can utilize either of NAD+/NADP+
d) Catalyzes conversion of glutamate to glutamine.
25. Dopamine is synthesized from which of the following amino acids?
26. In mammalian tissue serine can be a biosynthetic precursor for which amino acid?
27. Hydroxylation of Phenyl Alanine to Tyrosine requires all except
b) Tetra hydrobiopterin
c) Molecular oxygen
28. The amino acid that undergoes oxidative deamination at the highest rate is-
29. Transamination reaction in amino acid synthesis is catalyzed by enzyme_________
a) Nitric oxide synthase
d) Glutamate decarboxylase
30. Intermediates of which of the following metabolic pathway have not been used in the synthesis of amino acids?
b) Fatty acid biosynthesis
c) Citric acid cycle
d) Pentose phosphate pathway
31. Name the amino acid which does not take part in transamination during amino acid catabolism.
32. Name those living organisms which secrete nitrogen in the form of urea?
d) Nitroso compounds
33. Name the type of cell in which synthesis of urea cycle takes place?
a) Pancreatic cell
c) Bowman’s gland cell
d) Urinary epithelium cell
34. Which of these is a hereditary disease caused due to an error in amino acid metabolism?
d) Branched-chain ketoaciduria
35. In which form the nitrogen is incorporated into an amino acid?
d) Ammonium ion
MCQ on Amino Acid Metabolism PDF Download