The Potential Energy of a Spring MCQs and Answers are must for the aspirants who are preparing for various competitive examination. It covers the concept of Work, Energy and Power which is very important for any competitive exams. This Law of Work, Energy and Power topic is given most importance in various competitive exams like JEE Main, JEE Advanced, NEET, AIIMS etc.
Potential Energy of a Spring MCQs and Answers
1. How much should a spring of indefinite length be compressed to have a potential energy equivalent to a ball of mass 6 kg raised to a height of 120 m above the ground? Let the spring have a stiffness of k = 100 N/m and assume g = 10 m/s2.
2. Assume a spring extend by “d” due to some load. Let “F” be the spring force and “k’ the spring constant. Then, the potential energy stored is _____
3. A spring of length 1m has two cars connected to both of its ends. The two cars move towards each other such that the spring is compressed to 0.5m. If the spring constant is 500 N/m, what is the elastic potential energy stored?
a) 125 J
b) -125 J
c) 62.5 J
d) -62.5 J
4. What is the increase in potential energy storage when the compression distance is doubled in a spring obeying Hooke’s law?
a) No increase
b) 100% increase
c) Cannot be determined
d) 4 times
5. The elastic potential energy varies linearly with displacement.
6. The potential energy possessed by a spring is also known as _____
a) Elastic potential energy
b) Extensive potential energy
c) Compressive potential energy
d) Deflection potential energy