These Metals And Non Metals Class 10 MCQ are the most important part of your Class 10 NCERT Science Text Book.
Metals And Non Metals Class 10 MCQ
1. Al2O3 + 2NaOH → …… + H2O
2. Which of the following is the correct arrangement of the given metals in ascending order of their reactivity?
Zinc, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium
a) Zinc > Iron > Magnesium > Sodium
b) Sodium > Magnesium > Iron > Zinc
c) Sodium > Zinc > Magnesium > Iron
d) Sodium > Magnesium > Zinc > Iron
3. Which of the following is the chief ore of aluminium?
4. Which of the following is the finest iron ore?
d) Iron Pyrites
5. Which of the following pairs will give dis-placement reactions?
a) FeSO4 solution and Copper metal
b) AgNO3 solution and Copper metal
c) CuSO4 solution and Silver metal
d) NaCl solution and Copper metal
6. Non-metals form covalent chlorides because
a) they can give electrons to chlorine
b) they can share electrons with chlorine
c) they can give electrons to chlorine atoms to form chloride ions
d) they cannot share electrons with chlorine atoms
7. Which of the following oxide(s) of iron would be obtained on prolonged reaction of iron with steam?
d) Fe2O3 and Fe2O4
8. Which of tire following are not ionic compounds?
a) (i) and (ii)
b) (ii) and (iii)
c) (iii) and (iv)
d) (i) and (iii)
9. The electronic configuration of three elements X, Y and Z are as follows:
X = 2, 4, Y = 2, 7, Z = 2,1 Which two elements will combine to form an ionic compound and write the correct formula,
10. The highly reactive metals like Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, etc. are extracted by the
a) electrolysis of their molten chloride
b) electrolysis of their molten oxides
c) reduction by aluminium
d) reduction by carbon
11. Which of the following non-metal is lustrous?
12. Example of an amphoteric oxide is:
13. Which one among the following is an acidic oxide?
14. The atomic number of an element ‘X’ is 12. Which inert gas is nearest to X?
15. The process in which a carbonate ore is heated strongly in the absence of air to convert it into metal oxide is called
16. Oxides of moderately reactive metals like Zinc, Iron, Nickel, Tin, Copper etc. are reduced by using
a) Aluminium as reducing agent
b) Sodium as reducing agent
c) Carbon as reducing agent
d) Calcium as reducing agent
17. In thermite welding a mixture of …… and …… is ignited with a burning magnesium ribbon which produces molten iron metal as large amount of heat is evolved.
a) iron (III) oxide and aluminium powder
b) iron (II) oxide and aluminium powder
c) iron (III) chloride and aluminium powder
d) iron (III) sulphate and aluminium powder
18. Galvanisation is a method of protecting iron from rudftng by coating with a thin layer of
19. An element X is soft and can be cut with a knife. This is very reactive to air and cannot be kept open in air. It reacts vigorously with water. Identify the element from the following
20. Reaction between X and Y forms compound Z. X loses electron and Y gains electron. Which of the following properties is not shown by Z?
a) Has high melting point
b) Has low melting point
c) Conducts electricity in molten state
d) Occurs as solid
21. The electronic configurations of three ele¬ments X, Y and Z are X — 2, 8; Y — 2, 8, 7 and Z — 2, 8, 2. Which of the following is correct?
a) X is a metal
b) Y is a metal
c) Z is a non-metal
d) Y is a non-metal and Z is a metal
22. Amalgam is an alloy of
a) Copper and Tin
c) Lead and Tin
d) Copper and Zinc
23. Copper objects lose their shine and form green coating of
a) Copper oxide
b) Copper hydroxide and Copper oxide
c) Basic Copper carbonate
d) Copper carbonate
24. What is the composition of Kaolinite?
25. What is the composition of brass?
a) 49 percent copper and 51 percent zinc
b) 50 percent copper and 50 percent zinc
c) 37 percent copper and 63 percent zinc
d) 63 percent copper and 37 percent zinc
26. Which of the following is not a suitable ore for extracting iron?
d) Iron Pyrites
27. What is the concentration of zinc in calamine?
a) 98 percent
b) 94 percent
c) 86 percent
d) 74 percent
28. Silver is extracted from which of the following ore?
29. Which metal is extracted from Cinnabar?
30. Which of the following is an alloy of iron?
31. Which of the following is an alloy of lead?
32. Which of the following is an alloy of cobalt?
33. Which of the following is an alloy of copper?
34. Which of the following is not a non-ferrous metal?
35. What are alloys with two components called?
a) Binary alloy
b) Ternary alloy
c) Quaternary alloy
d) There is no name given to an alloy with two components
36. What is sterling silver used for?
a) casting of firearms
b) used for making musical instruments
c) used for making springs
d) used for joining two metals
37. Which of the following alloy is used for making castings of firearm chamber?
b) Wood’s metal
38. The most abundant metal in the earth’s crust is
39. The poorest conductor of heat among metals is
40. Which property of metals is used for making bells and strings of musical instruments like Sitar and Violin?
Class 10 Science MCQ
|Chapter 1: Chemical reactions and equations||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 2: Acids, bases and salt||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 3: Metals and Non-metals||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 4: Carbon and Its Compounds||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 5: Periodic Classification Of Elements||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 6: Life Processes||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 7: Control and Coordination||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 8: How do Organisms Reproduce?||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 9: Heredity and Evolution||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 10: Light Reflection and Refraction||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 11: The Human Eye and Colourful World||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 12: Electricity||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 13: Magnetic Effects of Electric Current||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 14: Sources of Energy||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 15: Our Environment||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 16: Sustainable Management of Natural Resources||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|