These Sources of Energy Class 10 MCQ are the most important part of Class 10 NCERT Science Text Book.
Sources of Energy Class 10 MCQ
1. Which one of the following forms of energy leads to least environmental pollution in the process of its harnessing and utilisation?
a) Nuclear energy
b) Thermal energy
c) Solar energy
d) Geothermal energy
2. Ocean thermal energy is due to
a) energy stored by waves in the ocean
b) temperature difference at different levels in the ocean
c) pressure difference at different levels in the ocean
d) tides arising out in the ocean
3. The major problem in harnessing nuclear energy is how to
a) split nuclei
b) sustain the reaction
c) dispose off spent fuel safely
d) convert nuclear energy into electrical energy
4. Which part of the solar cooker is responsible for greenhouse effect?
a) Coating with black colour inside the box
c) Glass sheet
d) Outer cover of the solar cooker
5. The main constituent of biogas is
b) carbon dioxide
d) hydrogen sulphide
6. The power generated in a windmill
a) is more in rainy season since damp air would mean more air mass hitting the blades
b) depends on the height of the tower
c) depends on wind velocity
d) can be increased by planting tall trees close to the tower
7. Choose the correct statement.
a) Sun is considered as an inexhaustible source of energy
b) There is infinite storage of fossil fuel inside the Earth
c) Hydro and wind energy plants are non polluting sources of energy
d) Waste from a nuclear power plant can be easily disposed off
8. In a hydroelectric power plant more electrical power can be generated if water falls from a greater height because
a) its temperature increases
b) larger amount of potential energy is converted into kinetic energy
c) the electricity content of water increases with height
d) more water molecules dissociate into ions
9. Choose the incorrect statement regarding wind power.
a) It is expected to harness wind power to minimum in open space.
b) The potential energy content of wind blowing at high altitudes is the source of wind power.
c) Wind hitting the blades of a windmill causes them to rotate. The rotation thus achieved can be utilised further.
d) One possible method of utilising the energy of rotational motion of the blades of a windmill is to run the turbine of an electric generator.
10. Which is the ultimate source of energy?
d) Fossil fuels
11. Based on usability, Energy Resources are classified into _____
a) primary, secondary and tertiary resources
b) primary and secondary resources
c) primary, secondary, intermediate and tertiary resources
d) primary, intermediate and secondary resources
12. Which of the following is not a type of primary resource?
a) Crude Oil
c) Hydrogen Energy
13. The ratio of energy received from a raw energy source to energy spent to obtain the raw energy source is called as _____
a) consumption ratio
b) fuel ratio
c) energy yield ratio
d) joule ratio
14. Energy Resources which are being used for many decades are known as _____
a) conventional energy sources
b) non-conventional energy sources
c) primary energy sources
d) fuel cells
15. A new renewable energy system is designed to harvest energy from wind. The total energy required to build the system is 240 kJ. The energy yield ratio of the system is 14:3. The total energy provided by the system over its lifetime is _____
a) 18,000 kJ
b) 54,000 kJ
c) 1,120 kJ
d) 2,258 kJ
16. Which of the statements is correct about Solar Energy?
a) It is a renewable and conventional source of energy
b) It is a non-renewable and non-conventional source of energy
c) It is a renewable and non-conventional source of energy
d) It is a non-renewable source of energy
17. Wind and Hydrogen energy are examples of_________
a) primary sources
b) primary and secondary sources respectively
c) secondary sources
d) tertiary sources
18. On the basis of long-term availability, resources are classified into____
a) conventional and non-conventional resources
b) renewable and non-renewable resources
c) primary and secondary resources
d) commercial and non-commercial resources
19. Which of these Energy resources is/are widely used in industries?
a) Coal and Gasoline
d) Crop Residue
20. Which of these resources does not produce CO2 during electricity generation?
21. Energy is released from fossil fuels when they are___________________
22. The blades in wind turbines are connected to________________
23. In the production of wave energy which form of energy is used?
a) Potential energy
b) Kinetic energy
c) Solar energy
d) Wind energy
24. A tidal barrage is a barrier built over a___________________
a) River bed
b) River estuary
c) River end
d) River starting
25. In hydroelectricity power_________________
a) Kinetic energy is transferred to potential
b) Potential energy is transferred to kinetic
c) Solar energy is transferred to wind energy
d) Wind energy is transferred to solar energy
26. In order to produce solar energy during sunlight, where the energy is stored in the batteries?
a) Nickel Sulfur
b) Zinc Cadmium
c) Nickel Cadmium
d) Nickel Zinc
27. How many forms of fossil fuels are there________________
28. According to WHO, how many premature deaths annually linked to air pollution causing by the burning of fossil fuels?
a) One million
b) Three million
c) Five million
d) Seven million
29. Energy in the form of heat and light is obtained by________________
b) Fossil fuels
30. SI unit for energy is_____________
31. Trapped heat inside the earth is known as_______________
a) Heat energy
b) Kinetic energy
c) Geothermal energy
d) Thermal energy
32. Which of the following pollutants are emitted by the burning of fossil fuel?
a) Oxides of Carbon, Nitrogen, and Sulphur
b) Oxides of Carbon, Uranium, and Radium
c) Calcium Halides and Oxides of Nitrogen
d) Noble Gases
33. _____ is a petrochemical and is used as raw material for chemical, pharmaceutical, and paint industry.
34. Which of the following statements is not true about radioactive waste?
a) It has radioactivity quotient of dangerous levels.
b) The disposed radioactive waste is to be guarded for a long period
c) It has low radioactivity quotient
d) Its radioactivity decreases with time
35. Which of the following is not a disadvantage of Hydro Power?
a) A large land area submerges into the water leading to deforestation
b) It causes dislocation of a large population and rehabilitation
c) It causes ecological disturbances like earthquake
d) It causes calamities like landslides
36. Sweden banned _______ in 1984.
b) new nuclear power plants
c) biogas plants
d) mining of fossil fuels
37. Which Uranium isotope is used in nuclear power plants?
38. ______ energy sources provide energy in dilute form.
39. The availability of Renewable energy sources is _____
40. Which of the following statements is not true about Renewable Energy?
a) They do not cause pollution
b) Their transportation is difficult
c) They cause ecological imbalance
d) They have a low gestation period
41. Renewable energy-based power plants have ______
a) negligible fuel cost
b) low energy availability
c) negligible production capacity
d) fuel storage tanks
42. Renewable energy plants require ________than traditional generators.
a) more fuel
b) less maintenance
c) higher operating cost
d) more uranium
43. Most of the Renewable energy sources are ________
b) universally available
c) highly efficient
44. How does acid rain affect the environment?
a) By precipitating clean and fresh rainwater only in freshwater bodies
b) By precipitating clean and fresh rainwater in all water bodies at once
c) By consuming all polluted water and precipitate clean water from water cycle
d) By precipitating acidic rainwater
45. What is the pH level of acid rain?
a) Between 3-4
b) Between 6-8
d) Between 11-14
46. Which of the following is/are directly harming the atmosphere?
a) Contamination of water bodies
b) Ozone layer depletion and emission of acidic gas
c) Global climate change and contamination of water bodies
d) Land fills and industrial emissions into water bodies
47. Which of the following is/are major contributor(s) of acid rain?
b) Sulphur and sulphur dioxide
c) Sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide
d) Nitrogen dioxide and argon
48. Which of the following energy sources is affected when energy crops compete with food production?
49. What is a solar cooling technology?
a) Sun’s thermal energy is transferred to a heat transfer fluid which passes through a heat exchanger
b) Sun’s thermal energy is transferred to a heat transfer solid which passes through a heat exchanger
c) Sun’s nuclear energy is transferred to a heat transfer fluid which passes through a cold exchanger
d) Sun’s thermal energy is transferred to a heat transfer fluid which passes through a cold exchanger
50. What does ozone protect the earth from?
a) Sound waves
b) Harmful UV radiation
c) Visible radiation
d) Greenhouse effect
51. Wind plants affect the habitat of _______
c) birds and bats
52. Which of the following is an example of a nuclear accident?
a) Construction of dams
b) Burning of fossil fuels
c) Nuclear fusion
d) Nuclear reactor core melt
53. What happens when a nuclear reactor core is damaged?
a) Significant amounts of radioactive isotopes are released
b) Significant amounts of radio-inactive isotopes are released
c) Significant amounts of nitrogen oxides are released
d) Greenhouse gases are released
Class 10 Science MCQ
|Chapter 1: Chemical reactions and equations||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 2: Acids, bases and salt||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 3: Metals and Non-metals||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 4: Carbon and Its Compounds||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 5: Periodic Classification Of Elements||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 6: Life Processes||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 7: Control and Coordination||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 8: How do Organisms Reproduce?||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 9: Heredity and Evolution||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 10: Light Reflection and Refraction||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 11: The Human Eye and Colourful World||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 12: Electricity||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 13: Magnetic Effects of Electric Current||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 14: Sources of Energy||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 15: Our Environment||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
|Chapter 16: Sustainable Management of Natural Resources||MCQs and Answers||Online Test|
More Questions on Science Class 10
1. CBSE Class 10 Science General Awareness Questions and Answers
2. CBSE Class 10 Science Competitive Exams Questions and Answers
3. CBSE Class 10 Science Entrance Exams Questions and Answers
4. CBSE Class 10 Science General Awareness Questions with Answers
5. CBSE Class 10 Science Objective type Questions & Answers
6. CBSE Class 10 Science Optional Questions with Answers
7. CBSE Class 10 Science very short Questions & Answers
8. CBSE Class 10 Science Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs) & Answers
9. CBSE Class 10 Science GK Questions & Answers
10. CBSE Class 10 Science Short Questions & Answers