Questions on database management systems (DBMS) with answers are given here. Based on the questions asked in previous year’s different government and private exams such as CAT, MAT, XAT, NMAT, IIFT, and SNAP. Following MCQs on the database management system for bank exam preparation along with detailed answers will help you to crack most of the questions asked in major exams.
Concepts to Solve DBMS MCQ
DBMS stands for the database management system. A database management system is a software tool that makes it possible to organize data in a database. It is often referred to as database manager. DBMS is a combination of two terms database and management system. A database is nothing but an organized form of data for easy access, storing, retrieval, and managing of data. The DBMS accepts requests for data from the application program and instructs the operating system to transfer the appropriate data. It also includes some built-in utilities to ease the task of the Database Management System
The main purpose of a DBMS is to provide users with an interface that helps them in retrieving, updating, and generally managing the information stored in the database. The main objective of a DBMS is to provide facilities for controlling data, defining structure for storage of information, establishing relationships between stored information, manipulating information, and security control for protecting the database from unauthorized access.
DBMS MCQ and Answers
Following are the most common database management system questions, we have tried to provide these commonly asked database management system questions with answers to help you in answering these types of questions while preparing for interviews and exams.
1. Who created the first DBMS?
a) Edgar Frank Codd
b) Charles Bachman
c) Charles Babbage
d) Sharon B. Codd
2. Which type of data can be stored in the database?
a) Image oriented data
b) Text, files containing data
c) Data in the form of audio or video
d) All of the above
3. What is the full form of DBMS?
a) Data of Binary Management System
b) Database Management System
c) Database Management Service
d) Data Backup Management System
4. What is a database?
a) Organized collection of information that cannot be accessed, updated, and managed
b) Collection of data or information without organizing
c) Organized collection of data or information that can be accessed, updated, and managed
d) Organized collection of data that cannot be updated
5. What is DBMS?
a) DBMS is a collection of queries
b) DBMS is a high-level language
c) DBMS is a programming language
d) DBMS stores, modifies and retrieves data
6. In which of the following formats data is stored in the database management system?
7. Which of the following is not a type of database?
8. Which of the following is not an example of DBMS?
b) Microsoft Acess
c) IBM DB2
9. Which of the following is a feature of DBMS?
a) Minimum Duplication and Redundancy of Data
b) High Level of Security
c) Single-user Access only
d) Support ACID Property
10. Which of the following is a feature of the database?
a) No backup for the data stored
b) User interface provided
c) Lack of Authentication
d) Store data in multiple locations
11. Which of the following is not a function of the database?
a) Managing stored data
b) Manipulating data
c) Security for stored data
d) Analysing code
12. Which of the following is a function of the DBMS?
a) Storing data
b) Providing multi-user access control
c) Data Integrity
d) All of the above
13. Which of the following is a component of the DBMS?
b) Data Languages
c) Data Manager
d) All of the above
14. Which of the following is known as a set of entities of the same type that share the same properties, or attributes?
a) Relation set
c) Entity set
d) Entity Relation model
15. What is information about data called?
a) Hyper data
b) Tera data
16. What does an RDBMS consist of?
a) Collection of Records
b) Collection of Keys
c) Collection of Tables
d) Collection of Fields
17. The DBMS acts as an interface between ________________ and ________________ of an enterprise-class system.
a) Data and the DBMS
b) Application and SQL
c) Database application and the database
d) The user and the software
18. The ability to query data, as well as insert, delete, and alter tuples, is offered by
a) TCL (Transaction Control Language)
b) DCL (Data Control Language)
c) DDL (Data Definition Langauge)
d) DML (Data Manipulation Langauge)
19. ______________ is a set of one or more attributes taken collectively to uniquely identify a record.
a) Primary Key
b) Foreign key
c) Super key
d) Candidate key
20. Which command is used to remove a relation from an SQL?
a) Drop table