As the 21st century progresses, India is quickly becoming a leading force in the field of education. With a booming economy and a population of over 1.3 billion, India is home to some of the best educational institutions in the world. In this blog post, we will explore some of the most important questions about Indian education. We will answer these questions using MCQs (multiple-choice questions). So, let’s get started!
Other Relevant Links
Educational Development in Modern India MCQ and Answers
1. The Asiatic Society of Bengal was founded by
(A) Sir William Jones
(C) Maz Muller
(D) James Prinsep
2. The main reason for the British Government to spread modern education in India during pre-independence period was
(A) The need for educated Indians in minor administrative posts
(B) To promote Indian culture
(C) To modernize the Indian people so that they could share their political responsibilities
(D) None of the above
3. Who among the following was the first to translate Kalidasa’s famous work ‘Shakuntala’ into English?
(A) Charles Wilkins
(B) Henry Colebrooke
(C) Johana Wolfgang von Goethe
(D) Sir William Jones
4. Charles Wood’s Despatch was related with which of the following?
(C) Administrative Reforms
(D) Military Reforms
5. Which Act of British Government granted rupees One lakh for education in India for the first time?
(A) Wood’s Dispatch, 1854
(B) Charter Act, 1813
(C) Charter Act, 1853
(D) Indian Council Act, 1892
6. When was the National Council of Education established?
(A) 15th August, 1903
(B) 15th August, 1904
(C) 15th August, 1905
(D) 15th August, 1906
7. In the Hunter Commission report, special emphasis was laid on the development of
(A) Girls education
(B) Higher education
(C) Primary education
(D) Technical education
8. When did the British Government appoint Sadler University Commission for reforms in education?
9. Sadler Commission was related to
(B) Revenue Administration
(D) Police Administration
10. During India’s colonial period, the theory of downward filtration was related to
(D) Poverty alleviation
11. Lord Macaulay was related to
(A) Military reforms
(B) Abolishment of Sati
(C) English education
(D) Permanent settlement
12. The foundation of modern educational system in India was laid by
(A) The Charter Act of 1813
(B) Macaulay’s Minutes of 1835
(C) The Hunter Commission of 1882
(D) Woods Dispatch of 1854
13. The propounder of ‘Filtration Theory’ in India’s education policy was
(A) Charles Wood
(C) J.S. Mill
14. The first three universities in India (Calcutta, Madras and Bombay) were established in which year?
15. In whose reign was English Education introduced in India?
(A) Lord William Cavendish Bentinck
(B) Lord Hardinge
(C) Lord Minto
(D) Lord Dalhousie
16. Who was associated with the formation of the Deccan Educational Society?
(A) Justice Ranade
(B) Firoz Shah Mehta
(C) B.G. Tilak
(D) Dayananda Saraswati
17. The establishment of the first Women’s University in Mumbai was the result of the effort of
(A) Dayaram Gindumal
(B) D.K. Karve
(C) M.G. Ranade
18. In collaboration with David Hare and Alexander Duff, who of the following established Hindu College at Calcutta?
(A) Henry Louis Vivian Derozio
(B) Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
(C) Keshab Chandra Sen
(D) Raja Ram Mohan Roy
19. Which of the following was established first?
(A) Hindu College, Calcutta
(B) Delhi College
(C) Mayo College
(D) Muslim-Anglo Oriented College
20. Who was the following laid the foundation stone of Banaras Hindu University?
(A) Madan Mohan Malviya
(B) Maharaja Vibhuti Narain Singh
(C) Lord Hardinge
(D) Annie Besant
21. Who one of the following had vigorously advocated for religious education in the Indian Universities?
(A) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(B) Swami Vivekanand
(C) Mahatma Gandhi
(D) Madan Mohan Malviya
22. Which one of the following was the first to be declared as Central University?
(A) Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
(B) Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow
(C) Banaras Hindu University of Varanasi
(D) University of Allahabad
23. Who founded First Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya at Varanasi?
(A) Jonathan Duncan
(B) Warren Hastings
(C) Lorel Macaulay
(D) Bankim Chandra
24. Where was the first Madarsa set up by British in India?
25. Who among the following was offered membership of the Royal Asiatic Society of Paris?
(A) Dadabhai Naoroji
(B) Michael Madhusudan Dutta
(C) Raja Ram Mohan Roy
26. Who amongst the following Englishmen, first translated Bhagavad- Gita into English?
(A) William Jones
(B) Charles Wilkins
(C) Alexander Cunningham
(D) John Marshall
Other Relevant Links
Conclusion: India has made great strides in educational development in recent years; however, there is still much work to be done. The MCQ and Answers blog post provides a helpful overview of the current state of education in India, while the Call to Action urges readers to get involved and help support educational development in India.