Are you looking for Number of Species on Earth and in India MCQs and Answers for medical entrance examinations? If yes, these are some most important multiple choice questions and answers on NCERT Class-12 Biology, Chapter-15 (Biodiversity and Conservation).
Here we composed these Number of Species on Earth and in India MCQs and Answers after reading the chapter on Biodiversity and Conservation from the NCERT book on Class 12 Biology. The questions are topics-wise and the students can relate the questions easily to the most important topics of this chapter.
Number of Species on Earth and in India MCQs and Answers
1. What does IUCN stand for?
a) International Union for Control of Disease
b) International Union for Conservation of Nature
c) International Unit of Nucleic acids
d) International Union of Carbohydrates and Nucleic acids
2. How many plant and animal species have been discovered and described so far?
a) 1.5 million
b) 4.5 million
c) 1.5 billion
d) 4.5 billion
3. What is the global species diversity according to Robert May?
a) 70 million
b) 7 million
c) 2 million
d) 20 million
4. Out of the total species estimated, how many species are of animals?
a) 2 %
b) 50 %
c) 7 %
d) 70 %
5. Of all the species recorded, what percent do plants comprise of?
a) 10 %
b) 50 %
c) 22 %
d) 2 %
6. Of all the animal species recorded, what percent do insects comprise of?
a) 7 %
b) 70 %
c) 50 %
d) 2 %
7. Which is the most species-rich taxonomic group?
8. Of all the vertebrate species recorded which class has the maximum number of species?
9. Of all the plant species recorded which class has the minimum number of species?
10. How much of the world’s land area, India has?
a) 1 percent
b) 40 percent
c) 2.4 percent
d) 80 percent
11. Which of the following species is present in India?
b) Sloth bear
12. Which of the following species is native of India?
a) Rhodes grass
b) Jackalberry tree
c) Ebony tree
d) Umbrella thorn acacia
13. Considering May’s global estimates, how many of the total species have been recorded?
a) 1 percent
b) 22 percent
c) 10 percent
d) 50 percent
14. Considering May’s global estimates, how many of the plant species are yet to be discovered and described in India?
15. Considering May’s global estimates, how many of the animal species are yet to be discovered and described in India?
There are a lot of questions out there about the number of species on Earth and in India. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and their answers:
FAQs on Number of Species on Earth and in India
Q: How many species are there on Earth?
A: Estimates range from around 10 million to over 100 million, but we don’t really know for sure. The main reason for the large range is that it’s very difficult to estimate the number of species that are very small or live in remote areas that are hard to access.
Q: How many species are there in India?
A: India is home to around 10% of the world’s known species, making it one of the most biodiverse countries in the world.
Q: How many new species are discovered each year?
A: On average, around 18,000 new species are described by scientists each year. However, this number has been declining in recent years as funding for taxonomic research has decreased.
Q: How many species are going extinct?
A: It’s estimated that around 100 species are going extinct each day, although this number is likely to be underestimated as we don’t have good data on many species. The main cause of species extinction is habitat loss, particularly due to human activity.
Have any other questions about Number of Species on Earth and in India? Leave a comment below and we’ll do our best to answer them!