The Tamil Nadu Panchayats Act, 1958 was enacted immediately following the Balwantrai Mehta Committee Report. This paved the way for the formation of Village Panchayats throughout the length and breadth of Tamil Nadu. About 12,600 such panchayats came into existence.
Each panchayat is headed by a president and a vice-president, who are elected by the panchayat members. The panchayat president is the ex-officio chairman of the panchayat. The day-to-day administration of the panchayat is carried out by the executive officer, who is appointed by the state government.
The panchayat has several important functions, including the maintenance of Essential Services like water supply and sanitation, the construction and maintenance of village roads, the regulation of slaughterhouses and tanneries, and the promotion of agriculture and animal husbandry.
The panchayat is also responsible for the welfare of the village residents and implements various schemes for the benefit of the people. The Tamil Nadu Panchayats Act, 1958 provides for a three-tier panchayat system, with village panchayats at the base, followed by block panchayats and Zilla panchayats at the intermediate and district levels respectively.
More Questions on Panchayati Raj Institutions
- What are Panchayati Raj Institutions?
- What are the three tiers of Panchayati Raj?
- What are the functions of Panchayati Raj?
- What are the objectives of Panchayati Raj?
- What are the significance of Panchayati Raj?
- What are the advantages of Panchayati Raj System?
- When did Panchayati Raj started in India?
- When did Panchayati Raj became constitutional entity?
- When did Panchayati Raj started in Kerala?
- When did Panchayati Raj started in Andhra Pradesh?
- When did Panchayati Raj started in Odisha?
- When did Panchayati Raj started in Bihar?
- Which state does not have Panchayati Raj?
- What is the first state to have Panchayati Raj?
- How Panchayati Raj was origin in India?
- How Panchayati Raj help in rural development?
- How Panchayati Raj system works in India?
- Panchayati Raj was recommended by which commission?
- Is Panchayati Raj and gram panchayat same?
- Is Panchayati Raj a true reflection of democracy?
- Panchayati Raj system was adopted in which year?
- Panchayati Raj system was first adopted by the state?
- Panchayati Raj was established in Assam in the year?
- Who brought the idea of Panchayati Raj?
- When is national Panchayati Raj day celebrated?
- Panchayati Raj comes under which list?
- Panchayati Raj in which schedule?
- Who is the father of Panchayati Raj?
- Why Panchayati Raj day is celebrated?
- Why Panchayati Raj system is important in India?